UB1.jpg

Charles and Myra Jacobowitz

Charles S. Jacobowitz was a prominent, civic-minded Buffalo businessman and bank director, who watched the then private University of Buffalo grow from the days when it took the first steps toward becoming the modern university it is today with the establishment of the college of Arts and Sciences in 1915, through the consolidation of university departments on what is now the South Campus in the 1920s and 30s. During these critical years for the university, Jacobowitz, who was remembered both for his interest he in people less fortunate than he was and his support for the University of Buffalo, was building his businesses, first in brewing supplies and then, after Prohibition, in refrigeration and ice-making equipment. When it was established, the fund offered an annual scholarship to pay half a year’s tuition for a graduate student in the College of Arts and Sciences—at the time $225.